Byword is a new, minimalist, distraction-less writing environment for Mac. Now, I know what you are thinking – Just what the world needs right? Well, I thought the same thing so I challenged the developer to tell me why one would choose this over the plethora of others available. Here is the list he ticked off:
- Full-screen interface;
- Focus mode to highlight only the few lines nearby the cursor‚ - you will love this;
- 5 beautiful typography presets optimized for legibility and readability;
- Plain text (TXT) and rich text (RTF) editing;
- Special selection functions to facilitate text manipulation;
- Convenient keyboard shortcuts to quickly make changes;
- In-place formatting options presented in a contextual popover;
- Integrated Find and Replace;
- Printing and export to PDF.
I have to say I am really enamored with the “focus” mode and the iOS style popover. Also, I should note the introductory pricing:
Byword is available today on the Mac App Store, starting with sale price of $2.99‚ - price will go up every 3 days until March, 22.
In other words, if you are interested it would do you well to act fast.